Tuesday 8 March 2011

Team Umizoomi, ready for action!

When we heard about the "Faschingsfeier" (= Mardi Gras Party) in Dorians Kindergarden, Dorian and I ran into a bit of a problem. Toy weapons where not allowed, and he didn't want to be a knight without a sword or Darth Vader without his lightsaber. Tthat left us with a somewhat limited selection of boy costumes...
After a lot of thinking it over, we finally agreed on "Geo". He's a tiny superhero in one of Dorians favourite TV shows, Team Umizoomi. Its on Nickelodeon and really cute - look it up!
Anyway, I thought I'd post about the making of this costume :-)


this is what I'm trying to make. Cute little superhero, right?
I started with some very soft velour fabric in blue and cut the parts that I need for the costume. I used a pair of well fitting pants and just traced it onto the fabric. The sweater was a bit harder, but not much. I again used a sweater to trace the parts I needed onto my fabric.
I sewed it up real quick - there are only straight and easy seams...
The only trouble I ran into was when I tried to hem the Arms and legs and forgot to remember to swtitch to a zig-zag stitch to keep the seams stretchy...
I finished the hood with a double layer of orange fabric.all the way around the opening.


After a bit of thinking I came up with a fairly simple way to make the belt:
I cut the parts out of very sturdy cardboard (a box that Pampers came in) and painted them with acrylic paint. Here's what they looked like after aplying the first coat of paint - I painted it twice more.
I cut out some shapes (squares, triangles and circles) and assembled the belt with adhesive film to protect the paint and to smoothe over any rough edges.

I stuck the shapes on with regular tape afterwards.

Dorian loves his costume - and the pants I made fit so nicely, he'll wear them as lounge pants :-)


If I had the time I would totally make a matching Milli costume for Lilith!


3 comments:

  1. Love this! My son LOVES team umizoomi but he won't wear hats so I don't think anyone would know who he was with a Geo costume. Yours turned out super cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my son loves geo, would you be able to make this for me to purchase?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking for a costume. Seems no where and the ones out there are 80 dollars. Love your step by step. I will definitely give this a try. Your son looks adorable. Thanks

    ReplyDelete