Friday 10 September 2010

Feature Friday: SweetwaterGifts

Hello everyone,
Its been more than half a year since I did the last feature! Doing features was nice, it brought traffic to my own and the featured artists Blog/store - so why did I stop? I have no idea - but since I'm doing the whole blog challenge thingy I  really want to make this a part of my weekly blogging routine. Here's where you come in -  I'm looking for some people to feature on my  Feature Friday.

  • Who can get featured? 
  • Almost anyone. 
  • This blog is family friendly, so nothing too adult - but if you're selling or trying so sell something, you could be here.
  • Even if you don't sell anything - do you have a blog and something to say? 
  • Are you a hobby crafter, a great scrapbooker - do you have a cause you're promoting? 
Just let me know about it in a comment on this post, give me an e-mail adress that I can use to contact you and I'll get back to you. I reserve the right not to feature you if your product is in direct competition to mine and a lot cheaper - I don't mind featuring your waldorf dolls if they are in the same price range as mine.

Enough said - here's todays Feature. Featured Artisan today: 

SweetwaterGifts

I grew up in the country outside a small town in central Wisconsin. We were well located – only 3 hours from everything! Of course this was well before the internet’s conception and so we had to make do with what was available and if I wanted it, I usually had to make it. I’ve been crafting things for as long as I can possibly remember. My mom taught me to sew, knit, and crochet when I was very young. I remember crafting Barbie doll furniture from egg cartons and fabric scraps my mom had saved from the 60’s. I made plenty of doll clothes and even sold them at our garage sales in town. I was about 12 years old when I learned to operate a sewing machine and started making my own clothes. Last year I turned my favorite interest into my full-time job and started my business on Etsy. As a former administrative management professional, I felt I could put both my business and creative skills to work for me and follow through on a long time desire to be my own boss in a creative field.

My etsy teams:
Etsy Twitter Team, Daily Challenge (unofficial team), Team Etsy Texas

Cna I follow you on twitter or become your facebook fan?
Of course you can!
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweetwater-Inspirations/115542896770
twitter: http://www.twitter.com/SweetwaterGifts

What is it you're making and how did you get into it?
I create distinctive hand-crafted jewelry for men and women. I’ve been interested in jewelry design for a long time, but it wasn’t until my husband and I moved to Florida and the internet started offering such great variety that it even seemed possible to obtain the materials I needed. Once I got my hands on a few sparkly beads I was hooked. I’m self-taught – probably because I’m not much for actually reading directions! My husband is a tremendous advocate of my talents and when opportunity presented us with another move to Texas – it was time to start my own business.

What does your day look like?
After seeing my husband off to work and straightening up, I check my e-mail and turn on Tweet Deck. I generally get the bookkeeping stuff out of the way and finally let the persistent tug from my studio win out and go upstairs to work for the afternoon. My business is new so I have to make a point to work on business development as much as I do creation. My day ends when my husband arrives home so we can spend time together.

Any tips for other artisans/crafters?
If all you have is a few hours a week to pursue the things that make you happy, then use those few hours. Don't give up because you don't have more time - a little goes a long way. If you want to start a business, then pursue it like a business. Do your research to find out what is involved and ask for help if you need it.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!

 Thats it for today -  check out the SweetwaterGifts shop on etsy - I had such a hard time picking just a couple of pictures!

Keep blogging,
Vee

1 comment:

  1. Great feature! Gorgeous items too. She sounds like such a sweetie. ;)

    ReplyDelete